Pests by definition are annoying and don't belong inside your Sumter County , SC home. Unfortunately, pest invasions are all too common and some of those pests, like the cockroach, actually pose a danger to you and others on the premises.
A cockroach is easy to recognize thanks to its flattened oval-shaped body, six legs, and antennae on its head. Depending on the species, their coloring varies from red to brown to even black. Arguably the worst part about cockroaches besides their toughness is their love for hiding. Due to this, it's much more likely you'll notice signs of a cockroach infestation before observing the cockroach itself within your home.
Knowing The Five Signs Of Infestation
While it might be difficult to notice the cockroach itself before the infestation becomes overwhelming, they at least have the courtesy to leave behind obvious signs once you know what to look for. These five signs include:
1. Droppings: During their travels, cockroaches leave behind droppings, which look like coffee grounds or pepper.
2. Smear Marks: Besides droppings, cockroaches also leave streaks behind.
3. Egg Capsules: To reproduce, cockroaches lay eggs, which are held in egg capsules. These capsules can hold as many as 30-40 eggs depending on the species and are a sure sign of infestation.
4. Shed Skin: Short of seeing the cockroach itself, this is the most obvious sign of an infestation in your home.
5. Odor: A heavy cockroach infestation means you'll soon experience a musty odor in your home.Finally, there is technically a sixth sign of infestation, which is seeing the cockroach itself. If you see one running around, there can be no question. You have an active infestation in the home.
Dangerous And Difficult To Eliminate
We briefly touched on this, but cockroaches are dangerous to people thanks to transmitting disease and bacteria due to their disgusting habits. Also, they can cause allergy and asthma problems when the infestation is heavy enough.
To make matters worse, cockroaches are hard to remove on your own thanks to a few advantages they bring that can make things feel unfair. These advantages are:
- Small Size: Their small size means they can hide easily, which is why a concentrated effort by trained professionals is needed to catch and eliminate all of them.
- Resilience: Even if you see cockroaches running around, that doesn't mean you'll win. They can go a month without food, survive for two weeks without water, and can even resist extreme temperatures.
- Speed: Their toughness is difficult enough, but they're also fast. Roaches can reach a speed of approximately three miles per hour.
- Rapid Reproduction: Thanks to their reproductive habits, a small infestation will quickly swell to an overwhelming one in seemingly no time. The more they reproduce, the less likely you are to eliminate all of them.
No More Cockroaches With Sumter Pest Management
When facing an active cockroach infestation, it's easy to panic and wonder if you're in for a troubling time. After all, they're hard to eliminate and threaten your health. Fortunately, that's where our team at Sumter Pest Management steps in. We work with you to identify and eliminate the source of your problem, so you can get back to normal life quickly.
Not only do we provide cockroach removal services, but we also lay the groundwork to ensure appropriate cockroach prevention measures are taken. With this approach, you'll never have to worry about an infestation again. If you suspect or observe a cockroach infestation, give our team at Sumter Pest Management a call to explore your home pest control or commercial pest control options.